Saturday, June 09, 2007

Moving stones

This weekend our coach forwarded a message that one of my teammates mothers wrote. It is beautiful. I am always curious about what a mother's take is on living with a disease that they know may or may not make their life shorter here on earth. I never got to have these conversations with my own mother, and I do not know how she felt about her disease, she simply lived with it and lived life day to day. I am grateful to have found the Leukemia Society when I did, for it still allows me to live and run and swim amongst others who have lived the nghtmare. As my mothers five year anniversary of her death approaches on Monday I take the time to honor her battle, her life, and her death. She was a gift that many had the opportunity to share, and I am sure she is still giving to others in her fun, vivacious and caring way.

Here is the letter from another strong mom.

To the triathlon participants:

I can't say thanks in enough languages to what you have challenged your bodies to do for the cause you've chosen. I wish that I would have had special aim or cause when I walked the 14 marathons in my past.

Now, here I am in Kidney Dialysis (side effect of Chemo) and cataracts (side effect of prednisone). Being diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome in 2004 has changed my life. As a public school food service director, I used to have 25 employees to check on daily. Now confined to a wheelchair and learning to walk against the counter in my kitchen makes my journey so different.

My bone marrow transplant in March of 2005 has given me a new look on life. I can't make 15 loaves of bread daily in my off time or be on the school board or teach employees how to perfect the bread or cookies we sold. There is nothing more humbling than to give up a style of life that didn't need other people's help. Wow, what a change! I was used to delegating jobs to smoothly make breakfast and lunch for 2000 kids a day. Now I'm asking people to help me out of a chair, do my wash, my grocery shopping and some of my meals too! These are stones!

There are so many people who are moving the stones in my path. I now believe that God places people where and when you need them. My husband is my Guardian Angel on Earth. My 4 children have learned and matured in a way no mother wants to see. My faith, trust, and belief tells me I am wrong. This is a path that is challenging for our family.

Now that I've done my bragging and complaining about my life, what about you? Each of you has taken the time, energy and responsibility to do a triathlon for a disease you don't have. What a mission! Who is taking care of your path? Does your family move the stones for you? Friends? People at work? My heart goes out to everyone of you. I wish I could be there kicking stones out of your paths. Stone moving is only for heroes. And all of you are heroes. But remember, when someone offers to move a stone in your path, let them because it is a rush for them as they do it and you both become heroes to each other.

As Katie (my daughter) reads/writes this note, please remember how much your personal mission of raising all this research money has moved a huge boulder off my path. If any of you are ever traveling through Wisconsin, please stop in Kaukauna where my new path has drawn me to opening a Cafe and Art Shop. We serve my passionate bread, coffee, sandwiches, soup, salads. And we sell art. Art and Food to nourish the Body and Soul. Our intention is to listen to each other's stories and help move stones.

As you ride, swim, and run tell yourself that stones make you not only stronger, but wiser in the journey of life. You can count on that. I am living proof of that. Thank you for health! And thank God for every stone and stone mover in my life.

-Beep, aka The Mother.

1 comment:

bbb said...

Just discovered your blog from reading Kim's! Way to go on the TRI. You chicks rock! Are you getting married in Cabo?