Sunday, May 27, 2007

ONE WEEK TO GO

Two words come to mind, the first is Holy and the next i'd rather not say in case small children are reading this. It begins with sh and it ends with it. It was quite a week. My shoulder seemed to really act up and I was in spasms for about 3 days. That meant I had to take muscle relaxers which makes me a puddle until the next day around 2.

However this week I was also able to watch some of my kids at school participate in the Special Olympics. It was quite inspirational and very exciting for us and the kids. As I was taking pictures of the kids participating and then holding their medals with such pride, it put things into perspective for me. And no its not that I should be participating in the special olympics like I have heard some of you joke. Its that I am just a girl, trying to make a difference. It does not matter whether I have to walk up a hill, it does not matter if I have to walk a little in a race. What matters is that I am putting myself out there. Each year I do something that is difficult for me, and unnatural for my body. This is always the time where my body starts acting up and reminding me that I am really not supposed to do this. I do this so I can hopefully inspire just maybe one other person to take this on. Or to help someone going through what we went through to realize that your life does not end when your loved one does. You carry on, you grow, and you take the risk of doing things that you never would have because life is just too short.

Yesterday our team wiggled into our wet suits. I slit a hole in my knee so that it was more bearable. We went to Walden Pond, a place where I have gone many many times. And none of those times did I even contemplace swimming across it. We practiced getting kicked and people swimming over us. I definately peed in my wetsuit at least 8 times, so that was quite a thrill for me. Hey it keeps you warm. Once the team was done with our drills they went out for a bike ride. A few of us wanted to swim across and get over the feeling of "holy crap I cannot see the bottom" feeling. So, 5 of us took off, had that feeling, overcame the feeling and just kept swimming. It was quite fun and I am taking off on a nice bike ride today. Tomorrow a group of us are meeting back at the pond to do a swim and bike together.

As Memorial Day approaches we cannot help but think about all the loved ones who have left. Memorial Day was the last day I was able to talk to my mom. I was away and had to put the petal to the metal and drive home because I knew something was up. It is a decision I am so glad I made, because once I got to the hospital, I was told to say what I needed to say. I will never forget those words my mother spoke to us that day before her ventilator was placed. It was simple, and it was short. "I love you all, and please don't cry." I knew that would be the last time, and somehow it was easier to say what we needed to say and we did so for weeks. I never have to wonder if I said what I needed to say. I know it was said, and it was felt. And plus, it was the first time that my mother did not get the last word!!!!!

Happy Memorial Day to all. Summer is here!!!!!

No comments: