Sunday, February 25, 2007

My first biking accident

Well my back is doing great, and my hair is now a nice mahogany color, (it only took about 8 hours at the hairdresser's to fix it), and I have gotten over a major milestone, Falling off my bike, and I did not even have to leave the privacy of my own home to do so. I picked up my updated bike at Wheelworks. I got a tune up, new handlebars, slick tires, and pedals that fit my new clip on shoes. I thought that I was getting ahead of myself by reading up on how to attempt to clip in for the first time. They are shoes that snap into your pedals like bindings. So I read people's websites and laughed at their expense about their horror stories, and how they attempted their first ride. Some did it in the middle of a doorway, some on a soft surface, me, not so much. I attempted it in my kitchen next to the kitchen table. So I snapped in one foot, pushed my foot down so hard to get it in the pedal, that the other pedal went flying into my other leg. This startled me, and the bike quickly swept under me. I went flying onto the bar (a major ouch even for a girl) and tried to break my fall with the kitchen table. All the while I was still clipped into my bike. Luckily Bri was there to help break my fall. All I could do was laugh, but really I wanted to cry. I have spent all week at the acupuncturist and finally my back is doing better. I now have a bruised hand, wrist, knee, back, and parts that I cannot disclose on the world wide web. So I am going to attempt to use the shoes on a stationary bike at the gym, and get on the bike when I feel like I am not going to break my neck. On a brighter note, I had a great swim on Saturday morning with my team. We are continuing to learn drills that follow the total immersion model. You can read up on how to be a better swimmer and see some helpful videos at www.totalimmersion.com . It is quite helpful I have to say. Hoping that the back continues to hold out. I am doing well on my acupuncture diet, although watching friends eat pizza, or anything with cheese is difficult but I am feeling pretty good. I will do anything to stay healthy all over. Well enjoy the Oscars tonight, and for all us teachers, its back to the real world tomorrow!

No comments: