Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Ally Brennan- April 2, 2007




I did not think that I would be posting this today, but on my way to work I was informed that our dear friend Ally passed away last night after a year long fight with MLD. I met Ally through the O'Donnell's, my second family. Year after year, and summer after summer our families would celebrate Labor Day together up in Plum Island. All the kids would be anxiously awaiting the arrival of our first days of school, and of course Gret would give all us girls a double french braid for our hair and we would take a picture all lined up. I will not forget turning off of Washington Street onto Comm Ave. each year during the marathon and Ally and the family would be there with cowbells and bright signs to greet me and send me off to conquer the hills. Ally was always a hoot, and to say that she was full of life would be an understatement. Karen was there for me when I competed in my first marathon. She flew out with Gail to San Diego to support me and watch me struggle and finish and was there for me at the end. I can now sufficiently thank her because I know that this time my mother was the one supporting Ally durign her long struggle, and was there for her at the end to celebrate together.


She will be missed, but we all have to take a deep breath to know that she is now with all our loved ones, wherever you may believe them to be. They are together, and they best be waiting for all of us. I pray that her family will continue to find ways to be near to her, and to allow her to be near to them. She simply left her body that was battling her this past year, now she is free to be Ally. I wanted to add a note that her Uncle wrote on her website that has been updating us all this year:

"Ally, I'm not a man who writes well, but here it goes. I'm not a God-fearing man, but I do believe in Him. I've seen many things that make me question His wisdom, yet others that make me believe in it. I believe that God came to Ally 9 months ago and said He had a special project for her. If I know Ally, she said, 'Bring it on!' There are special angels in heaven who God brings there for those of us on here on earth. Today Ally passed her test with flying colors. Ally has become one of God's special angels; she is now a guardian angel. Her special project is to be the guardian angel for twins here on earth. We may never know what purpose God has for each of us as He challenges us, but I do know that Ally is a special angel who earned her wings today. P. S. Ally, if those twins are anything like their aunt and mother, you are going to have your hands full.Love, Uncle Chuck"

Since I have met my fundraising minimum, I am going to donate my portion of the money raised this weekend at the fundraiser to the MLD foundation. This is a terrible disease that completely debilitates individuals of ALL ages, and there is NO CURE, and little treatment. Ally had to undergo the only treatment which is a bone marrow transplant, and that is a battle in itself. I remember my mother when she was propositioned after her cancer relapsed only months after her transplant. The doctors said she could have another one, and knowing that was her only shot at life, she said there was no way she would do it again. Of course you have to try, but if this is the only treatment for these diseases something has to give.

Please think of Ally Brennan, and her family. Especially her older sister Jen who is about to give birth to baby boy twins any day now. As Karen, Ally's mom put it, she says "Ally and Betty are partying it up right now" and I have a strange feeling that its true.


1 comment:

Kyla said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend Jods. It's a great thing that your helping to support MLD. See you this weekend.

Love, Kyla